Saturday, July 4, 2015

Today Is the Biggest Beer Drinking Day of the Year

I love the Fourth of July. 


  1. It marks one of the most monumental days in U.S. history.
  2. It's during my favorite season.
  3. Family & friends are abound.
  4. BBQs & yard games.
  5. Pretty lights exploding in the sky.

Oh, and it's also the biggest beer drinking day of the year. 


According to my mother-in-law. Who found this out while watching the "Today" show. 

I did a little more investigating (not because I doubted my MIL) because I am a hard-core fact-checker. 

Low and behold, my mother-in-law was right (just as I knew she was!). 

According to Fortune magazine, last year consumers spent nearly $300 million more on beer for the Fourth of July than they did for the Super Bowl. Yowsers!

What I'd like to know is how much of this beer consumption was comprised of macro domestics (Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Busch, etc.) versus craft beers. 

Before I go any further, I am by no means knocking domestic beers. Heck, you can't get much more patriotic than a tallboy of Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Buuut, if you're contemplating stashing your cooler with something a little different this year, I do have some recommendations—all of which can be found at your local bottle shops and grocers.

Before we jump into it, you should be familiar with the a couple of key acronyms commonly found on craft beer labels.


ABV

Alcohol by volume is a percentage that simply let you know how much of your beer is alcohol, versus other "stuff" like water and adjuncts. The ABV for light, session beers, i.e., beers that won't get you feeling all loosey goosey after you've had two or three, range from 3–5%. Sipping beers, i.e., beers meant to be drunk slowly and not in threes or fours, typically range from 7–14%, thought barrel-aged beers can convert even higher. These are what I call my "dessert beers," as they make for the perfect night cap. 


IBU

International bitterness units measure how hoppy your beer is on a scale of 0–100. The florally, citrusy, piney, grapefruity flavors hops exude start to become notable in beers with 35 IBUs or more. Some, like Dogfish Head's 90-Minute IPA can reach upwards of 90 IBUs or greater. These "imperial" IPAs are commonly referred to as palate wreckers. 

New & Light Craft Beers to Try This Fourth of July


Lagunita's Daytime Fractional IPA

Lagunitas Daytime IPA 

ABV: 4.65%

IBU: 54.20


If you fancy India pale ales or have an interest in trying them out, either way, the Lagunita's Daytime IPA is a definite go-to option. This is a fractional IPA, meaning it has a lighter mouthfeel (due to a lower ABV) but still makes way for the hop-forward flavors of lemongrass, grapefruit and a hint of citrus to shine. An excellent choice for an easy-drinkin' IPA.

Photo credits: lagunitas.com







Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar 

ABV: 5.6%

IBU: 33


If you can't hang with the hops and prefer sweeter, maltier beers, I can assure you will not be let down with Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. This lightly sweetened and nutty brown ale gives off subtle hints of chocolate and coffee. Its medium body, dark amber color and slight roastiness all complement one another. 

Photo credits: rogue.com



Peace Tree Brewing Co. Sidekick Kolsch

ABV: N/A

IBU: N/A


Summer is the time to drink this beer. Its golden color, slightly sweet aroma, intense crispness, frothy head and dry finish make it pretty irresistible. Though the ABV and IBUs are not listed, I can vouch that this beer is extremely light with little to no hop character. It's delicate and refreshing, and it even comes in a can, making it a prime choice for your Fourth of July BBQ.

Photo credits: peacetreebrewing.com



Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues' Mama's Little Yella Pils

ABV: 5.30%

IBU: N/A


Another great summer session beer, this pilsner is well-rounded with a nice, slight hop presence. It's tingly on the tongue, light on the palate, and has a thick white head that will leave you with one badass foam stache. Get your koozies ready—this beer is the perfect pairing an afternoon lounging session on a hot July day.

Photo credits: brew.oskarblues.com


Zipline Copper ALT

Zipline Brewing Co. Copper ALT

ABV: 5.20%

IBU: 26


I had to throw at least one local beer into my list of recommendations. Created by the beersmiths at Zipline Brewing Co. in Lincoln, Neb., the Copper ALT stands by its name. Its bronze hue and half lager/half ale compositions make it a true depiction of an altbier (German hybrid). In every sip, you'll happily greet mild flavors of chocolate and hazelnut—a winning combination in my book. 

Photo credits: ziplinebrewery.com

If you have any other go-to summer beers, I'd love to hear what you recommend! Post in the comments box below for all to see.

Cheers to freedom & beers!

1 comment:

  1. Sooooooooooo glad that you included Zipline Copper ALT! It is delicious! A draw of that on a hot summer day is much more than refreshing! It is, shall I say, soothing?! I haven't traveled much of the beer world, so this blog was a wonderful way for me to learn more about it! I find that canned beers make for a better summer/fruitful beer. I am not sure why, but I've tried Leinenkugel Summer Shandy from both a can and a bottle. Can wins! I feel the same way about Bud Light Lime. Both of these are great summer beers, in my opinion. They aren't fancy, but they get the "Fourth-of-July-Job" done! Oh, Michelob Lime Cactus is another! While it is the same concept as Bud Light Lime, it is noticeably different.....and also better from a can! I did not know the the Fourth was the biggest beer drinking day. I really though it would be the Super Bowl. Good thing your mother-in-law was watching the Today Show, because it led to a super interesting & fun-filled blog!!!!! This fall, please post a blog about great fall beers/ciders/etc. I love me some Angry Orchard!

    ReplyDelete